Preparing for and Coping With Aging Parents and Loved Ones


Last night my father called me to tell me that my mother was in the hospital. Weeks ago, my mother injured her knee after slipping on the bathroom floor, and in our phone conversations since, she mentioned how long it was taking to get better. Recently the pain and discomfort was such that she was almost incapable of standing up without assistance from my father, who is himself a disabled veteran that relies on forearm crutches in order to walk. When he went to inspect my mother's knee, he was alarmed to see that some of the surrounding flesh looked dead. After realizing that they would not be able to get to the hospital on their own, my father called an ambulance. It turns out that there was a very deep infection that required surgery to remove a good deal of affected tissue. As it stands right now, there is a chance that she may lose the leg.

Both of my parents are in their mid-seventies, the knowledge of which has been prodding me to prepare for the eventuality of declining health and mobility. Because I have an unfortunate tendency to ignore important but unpleasant thoughts, it is only now that I have begun to seek information and guidance regarding the care of aging parents, and all of the practical issues which surround it. The questions are many: My parents live in a rural area, and have a one level house that is wheelchair accessible, but how long will that situation remain tenable? Because my mothers' mobility was a compensating factor for my father's lack thereof, how will those dynamics change? They are a ninety minute drive away, how frequently should I visit to assist them? Will they be able to find good options for in-home care in such a small town?

Because my mother is in and out of the ICU (and in various states of sedation), my father would like me to wait a couple of days to go up and visit, which should hopefully be long enough to know what kind of further medical action will be required. In the meantime, I have looked into some online resources that I would like to share because ultimately it is never too early to start considering these things for your parents, aging loved ones, or yourself for that matter. I will give a brief overview of each article in the order of the list of links down below. Consider each article as a handy starting point, as the websites themselves should prove to be a wealth of information as you progress on this journey.

The article by Isabel Fawcett on eldercarelink.com is both an account of the writer's experiences caring for her aging mother, as well as a breakdown in the different types of care which she calls Mindless (automatic, without conscious thought), Awareness, and Purposeful Living. This article is worth clicking on for the wealth of helpful links at the bottom which I have only begun to sort through. On psychcentral.com Maud Purcell offers comfort for those suffering from the range of feelings, such as fear, anger, grief and guilt when grappling with a sometimes overwhelming task as elder care. The National Institute on Aging offers an article about “aging in place,” or remaining in one's home as long as feasibly possible, which is one of the goals which concerns organizations such as Meals on Wheels. And of course, the AARP continues to be the premiere source of information in these matters. The link below will take you to a PDF of their “Prepare to Care” brochure with a wealth of tips about how to stay productive and sane in this difficult situation.

Speaking for myself, these resources have already worked to settle my worries with the knowledge that not only am I not alone with all of the concerns surrounding the vulnerability of my parents, but also that this is a natural if bittersweet part of most people's lives, and there is no shame in seeking help.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Homelessness

Domestic Violence within the Homeless Community

Helping Fuel a Better Future